Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

step-by-step instruction, report generator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all
Has someone investigated how to generate a step-by-step instruction from a Comsol java (or .m) file? (the .mph file is a zip file with some .xml files inside, so the procedure should be similar)

If I open such files in a plain text editor, I can see the whole model tree encoded in an object oriented fashion. I would like to clean out the rubbish an get a simple text file with the steps like:

1.- Select 3D
2.- Add "Time-dependent study"
3.- Add "Laminar Flow"
4.- Go to Geometry, create a 1x10 rectangle
5.- Add basic material, water
6.- press Solve
7.- Plot velocity field
etc....

I wander if there is such a nice piece of code circulating in the forum... thanks
john.

2 Replies Last Post 2010/09/17 12:03 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/16 16:58 GMT-4
Hi

I'm not aware about that (external clen-up soft), now, probably, if you do a "File reset model" you might get a cleaner content, but I'm not sure exactly what it does to solutions and mesh, have to be checked. At least the file will be cleaned from older history related info

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not aware about that (external clen-up soft), now, probably, if you do a "File reset model" you might get a cleaner content, but I'm not sure exactly what it does to solutions and mesh, have to be checked. At least the file will be cleaned from older history related info -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/09/17 12:03 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we could reset the model and clean it so everything looks fine, but I'm still with the BIG problem that I cannot provide colleagues and customers with a step by step instruction of the model I'm sending them.

This shouldn't be so difficult, I wander the reason why Comsol developers haven't implement this inside the software (in my ideal world, the will be a menu "Save step-by-step instructions to a file .txt). In this way it will be much easier to document and justify how the figures, results from analysis, etc. where produced.

Best regards
john

Hi Ivar, Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we could reset the model and clean it so everything looks fine, but I'm still with the BIG problem that I cannot provide colleagues and customers with a step by step instruction of the model I'm sending them. This shouldn't be so difficult, I wander the reason why Comsol developers haven't implement this inside the software (in my ideal world, the will be a menu "Save step-by-step instructions to a file .txt). In this way it will be much easier to document and justify how the figures, results from analysis, etc. where produced. Best regards john

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.