Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geometry probem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm a new user

I'm trying to draw a disk which is made of two different materials on each side. I'm trying to draw a diameter on a circle and extrude it to become a disk with two separate sides, or draw a cylinder and somehow divide it in tow parts. Could you please help me with this?
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 2010/10/28 3:03 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/10/27 11:29 GMT-4
You can simply create a cylinder of which radius is much more than its thickness. So that you can obtain a disc. Then copy the disc (select the disc in draw mode, then press control+c and then control+v. At this point, you should enter the displacement amount. Give it so that the second disc is on top of the first one). With the created two discs, you can assign two different type of material properties.

PS: You should do the above procedures with a model setup on a 3D space dimension.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Özen
You can simply create a cylinder of which radius is much more than its thickness. So that you can obtain a disc. Then copy the disc (select the disc in draw mode, then press control+c and then control+v. At this point, you should enter the displacement amount. Give it so that the second disc is on top of the first one). With the created two discs, you can assign two different type of material properties. PS: You should do the above procedures with a model setup on a 3D space dimension. I hope this helps. Regards, Özen

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/10/27 11:35 GMT-4
Thank you so much. I guess I didn't explain the situation well enough. I don't want two disks on top of each other. I need a disk in two halved (vertical line through the disk). So I can appoint a different material to the left and right hand side of my disk.
Thank you so much. I guess I didn't explain the situation well enough. I don't want two disks on top of each other. I need a disk in two halved (vertical line through the disk). So I can appoint a different material to the left and right hand side of my disk.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/10/28 3:03 GMT-4
You can create a disc with same manner I told before. Then create a rectangular prism (block) which has an intersection with the half of the created disc. Select the disc and the prism, and click on the 'intersection' button. Now, you have a half disc. By mirroring the half disc, you can have a complete disc with two half sections.
You can create a disc with same manner I told before. Then create a rectangular prism (block) which has an intersection with the half of the created disc. Select the disc and the prism, and click on the 'intersection' button. Now, you have a half disc. By mirroring the half disc, you can have a complete disc with two half sections.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.