Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A short question regarding the heat transfer mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, there,

I am doing a simulation with heat transfer mode - convection and conduction.

In boundary consition setting, I found the conditions for thermal insulation and convective flux are similar. Obviously this is not correct for my simulated case - a semiconductor block shold exchange thermal energy with the enviroment, right?

Could you tell me why and how to fix it?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 2010/10/28 3:13 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/10/28 3:13 GMT-4
If you want to implement a convective heat transfer between the surface and environment (by specifying a convective heat transfer coefficient and the ambient temperature), you should select the "General Heat Transfer" from the Heat Transfer Module, instead of selecting the "Heat Transfer" from the COMSOL Multiphysics module. In the Boundary Settings, you will find the "Heat Flux" option as the boundary condition. There, you can define your convective heat transfer coefficient and the ambient temperature.

PS: I am using COMSOL 3.5

Regards,
Özen

If you want to implement a convective heat transfer between the surface and environment (by specifying a convective heat transfer coefficient and the ambient temperature), you should select the "General Heat Transfer" from the Heat Transfer Module, instead of selecting the "Heat Transfer" from the COMSOL Multiphysics module. In the Boundary Settings, you will find the "Heat Flux" option as the boundary condition. There, you can define your convective heat transfer coefficient and the ambient temperature. PS: I am using COMSOL 3.5 Regards, Özen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.