Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiturn Coil Voltage Excitation: Problem with Coil Current Results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone

I'm trying to simulate a multiturn coil with an iron core, with a certain BH curve. Simulations run well, but for the same applied voltage, but different coil resistances, it always gives me the same current.

I've tried to use the electrical circuit physics as in the E-Core Transformer example, but the results are the same.

Can anyone help? How is the coil current calculated?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies Last Post 2019/03/25 14:38 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/03/25 10:41 GMT-4

Hi Gustavo,

It is most likely you did change the electrical conductivity in the coil domain, but you would need to change the "Coil Wire Conductivity" to change the materials of the wire in the coil. See the attached image. The "Coil Wire Conductivity" is the value that is use in the software to compute the resistance and hence different current when this parameter is changed.

BR/Nirmal

Hi Gustavo, It is most likely you did change the electrical conductivity in the coil domain, but you would need to change the "Coil Wire Conductivity" to change the materials of the wire in the coil. See the attached image. The "Coil Wire Conductivity" is the value that is use in the software to compute the resistance and hence different current when this parameter is changed. BR/Nirmal

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/03/25 14:38 GMT-4

Hello Nirmal

Thanks for your answer!

But the way I change the resistivity is by changing the Coil Wire Cross Section Area. Nothing else.

Hello Nirmal Thanks for your answer! But the way I change the resistivity is by changing the Coil Wire Cross Section Area. Nothing else.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.