Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wall contact problem will not converge

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Material 1 (domain 1) is cooling down by defined time dependant heat flux. as it reaches a certain temperature (solidification temperature) it is activated. next to the material there is a wall (domain 2) that will come into contact with the solidifying material because there is an inreasing pressure pushing the material into the wall. the mechanical and thermal stresses of the wall itself are of no interest to me, therefor it is thermally insulated and undeformable.

as the problem should be the same in each quarter of the whole geometry, i have used symmetry for both structural mechanics and heat transfer.

if you deactivate contact and nonlinearity in the solver, it converges and you can get an idea what will happen. as soon as i try to get the wall condition by defining contact between domain 1 and 2, it will not come to a solution.

I will attach the model and would be very thankful for any useful ideas.

Kind regards

2 Replies Last Post 2020/02/25 8:03 GMT-5

Posted: 4 years ago 2020/02/23 15:31 GMT-5

I should add that although the pressure load pushes the activated material against the wall, it is to be expected that part of the material will slightly lose contact with the wall near the corner due to the combination of thermal contraction and pressure loading at the corner.

I should add that although the pressure load pushes the activated material against the wall, it is to be expected that part of the material will slightly lose contact with the wall near the corner due to the combination of thermal contraction and pressure loading at the corner.

Posted: 4 years ago 2020/02/25 8:03 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 2020/02/25 8:05 GMT-5

The error I am getting with the model above is the following:

• Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Nonlinear solver did not converge. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Time: 0.0026755223696034586 s. Last time step is not converged.

I have increased time until failure slightly by changing the characteristic stiffness under Penalty Factor. Now I am getting this error:

• Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity. Time: 1.6674656349778174 s. Last time step is not converged.

Unfortunately, I still have not identified the root cause of my problem.

The error I am getting with the model above is the following: - Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Nonlinear solver did not converge. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Time: 0.0026755223696034586 s. Last time step is not converged. I have increased time until failure slightly by changing the characteristic stiffness under Penalty Factor. Now I am getting this error: - Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity. Time: 1.6674656349778174 s. Last time step is not converged. Unfortunately, I still have not identified the root cause of my problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.