Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ultrasonic phased array transducer simulation using symmetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate a 2-dimensional ultrasonic phased array transducer using piezoelectric materials. My goal is to see how much acoustic pressure I can generate in the target medium (water) by using the phased array to focus the ultrasonic waves.

I'm having a problem with the symmetry boundaries. Because I'm focusing the ultrasonic waves directly below my phased array, there are two symmetry planes that bisect my model, so I only need to simulate a quarter of the geometry. I'm assuming that if I simulate the model this way, and assign the apropriate symmetry boundaries in the pressure acoustics module, I can build a 2x2 array which will produce the focusing effect of a 4x4 array in the water, for example. Or in other words, the symmetry boundary essentially copies the model accross the symmetry boundary and I can get the focusing effect of my phased array for a fourth of the computation. The problem is I get the same pressure field in the water whether or not I assign symmetry boundaries. So it's obviously not doing what I think it should be doing. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Jace

2 Replies Last Post 2021/04/23 11:43 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021/04/22 22:10 GMT-4

I suggest you post your .mph model file to the forum.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I suggest you post your .mph model file to the forum.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021/04/23 11:43 GMT-4

In acpr the default boundary condition is Sound Hard Boundary which happens to be the same as the Symmetry boundary condition.

Now as to why Comsol chose NOT to have a symmetry b.c. in Electrostatics so that we need to remember to use Zero Charge instead...I don't know.

In acpr the default boundary condition is Sound Hard Boundary which happens to be the same as the Symmetry boundary condition. Now as to why Comsol chose NOT to have a symmetry b.c. in Electrostatics so that we need to remember to use Zero Charge instead...I don't know.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.