Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Topology Optimization considering thermal expansion

Edilson Sarmiento Alonso

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day,

I am using the Topology Optimization (COMSOL 6.0) feature in the "Thermal Stress, Solid" module (Solid Mechanics + Heat Transfer in Solids). My objective function is to minimize thermal expansion in a solid, under certain temperature in some of its boundaries. However, I've tried with different objective functions but none of them seem to work. I'm new using this feature in COMSOL. Could anyone please help me with describing me the general process to do this?

Thank you so much in advance.

Greetings from Colombia.

3 Replies Last Post 2022/12/08 7:26 GMT-5
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 2022/10/31 8:37 GMT-4

Topology optimization of multiphysics problems can require some trial and error, and the best interpolation functions can be problem specific. Have you considered using shape optimization?

Topology optimization of multiphysics problems can require some trial and error, and the best interpolation functions can be problem specific. Have you considered using shape optimization?

Edilson Sarmiento Alonso

Posted: 1 year ago 2022/11/01 15:35 GMT-4

Hi Kristian,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I should use the topology optimization method, that's why I haven't considered using shape optimization.

Thanks!

>Topology optimization of multiphysics problems can require some trial and error, and the best interpolation functions can be problem specific. Have you considered using shape optimization? Hi Kristian, Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I should use the topology optimization method, that's why I haven't considered using shape optimization. Thanks!

Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 2022/12/08 7:26 GMT-5

If you contact support, we can probably share a shape optimization model on warping minimization that can help you in solving similar topology optimization problems.

If you contact support, we can probably share a shape optimization model on warping minimization that can help you in solving similar topology optimization problems.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.