Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

import ansys model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

does anyone know if Ansys model can be imported into Comsol3.5 or 4.0?
what are the other FEA software Comsol can import?
Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

2 Replies Last Post 2010/05/26 15:53 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/26 1:29 GMT-4
AFAIK none. Comsol does not "import" from any software the way you expect the "import" to work. However you can import your mesh in several forms and apply your physics and boundary conditions; much easier than ANSYS in Comsol.
AFAIK none. Comsol does not "import" from any software the way you expect the "import" to work. However you can import your mesh in several forms and apply your physics and boundary conditions; much easier than ANSYS in Comsol.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/05/26 15:53 GMT-4
Hi

What I'm doing is to translate ANSYS to NASTRAN by a small company in Switzerland, and then import the Nastran neutral file into comsol. This gives you the mesh read into COMSOL (and consolidated to a analyzed geometry) that you can apply BC's on and analyse further. But its not very simple and it gives you quite some work and checks to do. Very little of the grouping data or BC's or material data is read in, if any. It works only for 3D structural (no beams nor shells)

It's not the easiest way, so when I can I import the geometry and start from scratch.

It's also no posiible to export, personally I would like to have a better and easier I/F to other tools, but its also quite difficult because the way the different FEM programmes are made. But at least the logical groups, by material could be imported / exported in a more evident way.

Not an optimistic reply, but that's my experience

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi What I'm doing is to translate ANSYS to NASTRAN by a small company in Switzerland, and then import the Nastran neutral file into comsol. This gives you the mesh read into COMSOL (and consolidated to a analyzed geometry) that you can apply BC's on and analyse further. But its not very simple and it gives you quite some work and checks to do. Very little of the grouping data or BC's or material data is read in, if any. It works only for 3D structural (no beams nor shells) It's not the easiest way, so when I can I import the geometry and start from scratch. It's also no posiible to export, personally I would like to have a better and easier I/F to other tools, but its also quite difficult because the way the different FEM programmes are made. But at least the logical groups, by material could be imported / exported in a more evident way. Not an optimistic reply, but that's my experience Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.