Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Overlay additional nonsolid objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Guys,

In the Comsol Manual there is this statement:

"You can also overlay additional nonsolid objects on top of solid objects to control the distribution of the mesh and to improve postprocessing capabilities. For example, add a curve object to a geometry to control the element size along a 3D curve or add a point to guarantee a mesh vertex in a specific location."

But, as far as I know, there is clear explanation on how to do that.

My problem is the following: I have a 2D geometry in which I solve a fluid problem with a convection-diffusion-reaction problem, since it is strongly convection dominated I need to have a good control of my mesh. In doing that I need to add another curve on a already present Bezier curve - the Bezier curve represents the geometry, the other curve will control the mesh distribution at the wall. How do I do that? Any hints?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers,
J

4 Replies Last Post 2010/11/04 9:27 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/03 14:40 GMT-4
Putting it better:

imagine I have a Bezier curve, and I want to split it into two curves in order to assign different properties to the mesh on that line...would be possible to do that?

J
Putting it better: imagine I have a Bezier curve, and I want to split it into two curves in order to assign different properties to the mesh on that line...would be possible to do that? J

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/04 3:06 GMT-4
Hi

I add often a few additional internal boundaries to create "metrology" "hard-nodes" or to spli my parts to ease meshing, mostly thisdoes not change the resolution time

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I add often a few additional internal boundaries to create "metrology" "hard-nodes" or to spli my parts to ease meshing, mostly thisdoes not change the resolution time -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/04 9:04 GMT-4
Thanks,
yes, this I also do. But, suppose you have a Bezier curve: is it possible to split it in two?
Thanks, yes, this I also do. But, suppose you have a Bezier curve: is it possible to split it in two?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/04 9:27 GMT-4
Hi

in principle yes, either you know the formuals well enough and you can intersept it, or you might use COMSOL's internal geometry analysis functions, by crossing your Bezier curve by a stright line, depending on how you are treating your model geoemtry ("union" or COMSOL "assembly" mode) Your Bezier might well be cut by the internal geoemtry analyse process. make it a try

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in principle yes, either you know the formuals well enough and you can intersept it, or you might use COMSOL's internal geometry analysis functions, by crossing your Bezier curve by a stright line, depending on how you are treating your model geoemtry ("union" or COMSOL "assembly" mode) Your Bezier might well be cut by the internal geoemtry analyse process. make it a try -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.