Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use the Flux/source BC of with General form PDE?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone

I have used the Comsol 4.0 for several months, but the problem confuses me all through. There are two types of BCs in PDE in V4.0. One is Dirichlet BC and the other is Flux/source BC. In General form, the equation of Flux/source BC is -n*Gamma=g, which is always be considered the 2rd BC, i.e. the Neumann BC. But I cannot find any differentiating in the equation.
In 1D problem, the boundarys is two points. So "the flux on a point" means strange! If the flux is electrical flux or magnetic flux, I can understand. But if the flux is generalized in general PDE, I donot know what it represent.
If solving a simple PDE problem "du/dx=2*x" in the interval of x(-[0,1], how to choose the BCs? What do the Flux/source BC means when the boundary is a point?

Thanks for any comment!!

youf.

2 Replies Last Post 2010/11/16 8:21 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/16 1:20 GMT-5
Hi

what if you say flux - gradient- slope, does that help

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what if you say flux - gradient- slope, does that help -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/11/16 8:21 GMT-5
Hi, Ivar

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, flux can be regarded as "gradient, slope". However, there is not any differentiating operation in the equation of -n*Gamma=g. Then how to comprehend the equation?

Thanks you!

youf.
Hi, Ivar Thanks for your reply! Yes, flux can be regarded as "gradient, slope". However, there is not any differentiating operation in the equation of -n*Gamma=g. Then how to comprehend the equation? Thanks you! youf.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.