Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to specify the "Prescribed Displacement" for the given range?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have a model with a multiple load (boundary conditions) about the 3D coordinate

Details are as stated below,

About X:
Translation : No
Rotation : +10/-5 deg

About Y:
Translation : No
Rotation : +3/-3 deg

About Z:
Translation : +3mm/-3mm
Rotation : +3/-3 deg

the above problem is based on displacement control.

I tried "Rigid Connector" option is doesn't responds to the rotation (some bug I believe) but does the displacement about the coordinate (just as Prescribed Displacement).

Now I have developed equation of motion for rotation along X, Y & Z and applying by using "Prescribed Displacement"
But, Now I am left with the Translation displacement condition about Z axis.

I am quite confused about how to apply the translation motion within the range of -3 to +3 passing through origin

any suggestion ?

or else how could I develop an equation for it !!! and combining the eq for rotation?

Please find the file attached and its done in 4.1 COMSOL version!!

any help please

Thank you

Kind regards
damo

1 Reply Last Post 2010/12/21 3:24 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/12/21 3:24 GMT-5
Hi

first of all Rigid Connector also rigidifies your boundary (makes it rock solid) it might not be what you want. Then you can add subnodes to the rigid connector and adapt both prescribed displacements and rotations.

for the other points I do not really understand the difficulty, if you select displacement = myvariable you can impose a gven displacement at will, couple it to something else (apart that often you get rather non-linear model and the solver might have some difficulties without some help from your part how to segregate or normalise some of the variables

you can add add a spring (hooked up to in infinite rigid body) by applying a prescribed load Fx = - kx[N/m] * u
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all Rigid Connector also rigidifies your boundary (makes it rock solid) it might not be what you want. Then you can add subnodes to the rigid connector and adapt both prescribed displacements and rotations. for the other points I do not really understand the difficulty, if you select displacement = myvariable you can impose a gven displacement at will, couple it to something else (apart that often you get rather non-linear model and the solver might have some difficulties without some help from your part how to segregate or normalise some of the variables you can add add a spring (hooked up to in infinite rigid body) by applying a prescribed load Fx = - kx[N/m] * u -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.