Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

post processing questions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am modeling the mechanical design of the rotor of a high-speed electrical machine.

In the attached model, there are four breadloaf shaped magnets on a square steel piece. The magnets are glued onto this steel piece. A 0.2 mm titanium sleeve is shrink fitted onto the rotor by heating it up to 100 C degrees. There is another glue layer in the surface between the magnets and the sleeve. Centripetal forces acting on the bodies in the rotor system are given as body loads.

After solving this 2D model, I want to visualize "radial" and "tangential" stresses in the rotor, especially on the layers where there is glue, to see if the glue can hold at that given speed or not. Can anyone please tell me how to do this?

Secondly, I am interested in the stresses in the solid bodies. I need to compare the stress values in the bodies to their respective data sheets to see if those bodies would break or survive the stress (especially for magnets, and sleeve). For those materials, tensile and compressive strength are usually different, therefore I cannot simply use the von Mises stress only, I need to see the direction of the stress. Can anyone please comment on this?

Thank you very much in advance to all those of you who want to help an electrical engineer trying to model a mechanical system :-)

Arda

0 Replies Last Post 2010/12/23 6:52 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Arda Tüysüz

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.