Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Glass rod deformation by an external force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am pretty new in doing material deformation problem. Here, I would like to model the deformation of a heated glass rod with some softened parts under external force. The schematic drawing is as the attached picture. Does anyone have the idea how to perform this kind of modeling? Any input will be very thankful.

David

4 Replies Last Post 2011/03/22 12:09 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/12/29 4:02 GMT-5
Hi

my first guess would be to use ST (structural), + ALE (moving mesh) with HT (heat transfer). It depends somewhat on the data and material properties known for youre meltenglass.

To build the model I would start one physics at the time in that order

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my first guess would be to use ST (structural), + ALE (moving mesh) with HT (heat transfer). It depends somewhat on the data and material properties known for youre meltenglass. To build the model I would start one physics at the time in that order -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010/12/29 5:10 GMT-5

Hi

my first guess would be to use ST (structural), + ALE (moving mesh) with HT (heat transfer). It depends somewhat on the data and material properties known for youre meltenglass.

To build the model I would start one physics at the time in that order

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Ivar,

Thanks for your useful suggestions. If the material will be the silica glass (can be found in the material library of COMSOL), and the viscosity of the softened part of the silica glass is 1e5 Pa*s at temperature of 1100C while the viscosity of the solid part of the silica glass is 1e20 Pa*s at room temperature, how can I start the first structure model?

David

[QUOTE] Hi my first guess would be to use ST (structural), + ALE (moving mesh) with HT (heat transfer). It depends somewhat on the data and material properties known for youre meltenglass. To build the model I would start one physics at the time in that order -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Dear Ivar, Thanks for your useful suggestions. If the material will be the silica glass (can be found in the material library of COMSOL), and the viscosity of the softened part of the silica glass is 1e5 Pa*s at temperature of 1100C while the viscosity of the solid part of the silica glass is 1e20 Pa*s at room temperature, how can I start the first structure model? David

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/22 11:58 GMT-4
Dear David,

did you manage to model glass rod deformation? Can you share with your experience?

Thank you,
Kanat
Dear David, did you manage to model glass rod deformation? Can you share with your experience? Thank you, Kanat

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/22 12:09 GMT-4

Dear David,

did you manage to model glass rod deformation? Can you share with your experience?

Thank you,
Kanat

Hello,

Unfortunately, I still have no idea how to deal with this large deformation problem.

All the best,

David
[QUOTE] Dear David, did you manage to model glass rod deformation? Can you share with your experience? Thank you, Kanat [/QUOTE] Hello, Unfortunately, I still have no idea how to deal with this large deformation problem. All the best, David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.