Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unknown variables while defining expressions.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have defined the expressions in version 3.4, but I am not able to define same expressions in version 4.1.The expressions are as follows:
Q11 alpha_smsld*(T-T0)[K]*(E11[N/m^2]+E12[N/m^2]+E13[N/m^2])
Q12 alpha_smsld*(T-T0)[K]*(E21[N/m^2]+E22[N/m^2]+E23[N/m^2])
Q13 alpha_smsld*(T-T0)[K]*(E31[N/m^2]+E32[N/m^2]+E33[N/m^2])
Q1 Q11*uxt+Q12*vyt+Q13*wzt
Sel1 alpha_smsld*(E11[N/m^2]*(ux-alpha_smsld*(T-T0))+E12[N/m^2]*vy+E13[N/m^2]*wz)
Sel2 alpha_smsld*(E22[N/m^2]*(vy-alpha_smsld*(T-T0))+E12[N/m^2]*ux+E23[N/m^2]*wz)
Sel3 alpha_smsld*(E33[N/m^2]*(wz-alpha_smsld*(T-T0))+E13[N/m^2]*vy+E23[N/m^2]*wx)
Sel Sel1+Sel2+Sel3
S rho_smsld*C_htgh*log(T/T0[k])+Sel
Q2 T*pdiff(S,t)

Please kindly help me in defining these equations in version 4.1.

How to generate report in comsol v 4.1.

5 Replies Last Post 2011/01/28 1:25 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/27 3:49 GMT-5
Hi

there are many changes in v4, I spent also some time to get used to it.

first of all the "report" feature as per v3.5 is not yet implemented, you can generate plots, and save the generation such that its done in one go also in 4.1, it must be defined once manually (right click on the plot nodes to see all options)

for the formulas, you need to catch the new way, no longer suffix "_smsld" but prefix "solid." for all variables. Then in v4 and Structural, the "Deformed frame" is by default "on" this means that you have a different material and spatial (deformed) frames activ.

In 3.5 the "deformed frame" was off and all frames were referred to as x,y,z (lowercase). In v4 the spatial (deformed) frame is "on" and uses the lowercase x,y,z, while the material frame and the mesh has the uppercase X,Y,Z hence you need to think in which frame you are for your formulas, and often v3.5 lowercase x,y,z (derivatives) become X,Y,Z uppercase.

Its the old story of Euler or Lagrangian reference frame issue (more common to the fluidics)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are many changes in v4, I spent also some time to get used to it. first of all the "report" feature as per v3.5 is not yet implemented, you can generate plots, and save the generation such that its done in one go also in 4.1, it must be defined once manually (right click on the plot nodes to see all options) for the formulas, you need to catch the new way, no longer suffix "_smsld" but prefix "solid." for all variables. Then in v4 and Structural, the "Deformed frame" is by default "on" this means that you have a different material and spatial (deformed) frames activ. In 3.5 the "deformed frame" was off and all frames were referred to as x,y,z (lowercase). In v4 the spatial (deformed) frame is "on" and uses the lowercase x,y,z, while the material frame and the mesh has the uppercase X,Y,Z hence you need to think in which frame you are for your formulas, and often v3.5 lowercase x,y,z (derivatives) become X,Y,Z uppercase. Its the old story of Euler or Lagrangian reference frame issue (more common to the fluidics) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/27 5:25 GMT-5
Thanks for suggestions. I am not able to write the last expression in comsol v 4.1. I have to do partial differentiation of entropy S w.r.to time t.Can you suggest me expression?
Regards!!

Deepak
Thanks for suggestions. I am not able to write the last expression in comsol v 4.1. I have to do partial differentiation of entropy S w.r.to time t.Can you suggest me expression? Regards!! Deepak

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/27 11:00 GMT-5
Hi

if you cannot find any any internal name for the entropy derivative, you might get away with a d(S,t) the differentiator operator d(,) check the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you cannot find any any internal name for the entropy derivative, you might get away with a d(S,t) the differentiator operator d(,) check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/27 13:22 GMT-5
Thanks again Ivar...I got the differential operator by exploring the documentation.partial differential can be written as pd(S,t) for my case.

Regards!!

Deepak
Thanks again Ivar...I got the differential operator by exploring the documentation.partial differential can be written as pd(S,t) for my case. Regards!! Deepak

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/01/28 1:25 GMT-5
Hi

Yes correct, I had forgotten to add "pd(,)" to the list of potential operator, if it not d(,) its pd(,) ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Yes correct, I had forgotten to add "pd(,)" to the list of potential operator, if it not d(,) its pd(,) ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.