Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving concentration boundary layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am studying the movement of a concentration boundary layer from the middle of a microfluidic channel towards the wall. My channel is a 2D rectangle, height 2mm, width 1cm. Concentration values go from 0 to 100. I did a time step Nav-Stokes simulation. Coupled that with an advection-diff simulation and got the results I needed. I was able to see the concentration move into the channel, then towards the wall. The result showed the boundary layer as it moves through the x and y directions. However, I need to know where in y (for a line going through x=1cm) is the concentration=50 as a function of time. I did a line plot at location x=1cm that gives me the values of concentration (from 0 to 100), attached as Line plot, 2D. I also did an extrusion plot that shows the concentration as a function of channel width and time, attached as Line extrusion plot, 3D. Is there a way for me to make a line plot that only plots for a certain range of results? Or is there a way for me to obtain data from the Line extrusion plot at concentration=50 (i.e. make plane on the X-Y axis that cuts through Z=50 and allow me to obtain those numbers )? I also exported the data as ASCII files, imported them into Matlab and plotted them. However, the plots were not nearly the same so they were useless.

2 Replies Last Post 2011/02/02 9:16 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/02/02 8:39 GMT-5

I am studying the movement of a concentration boundary layer from the middle of a microfluidic channel towards the wall. My channel is a 2D rectangle, height 2mm, width 1cm. Concentration values go from 0 to 100. I did a time step Nav-Stokes simulation. Coupled that with an advection-diff simulation and got the results I needed. I was able to see the concentration move into the channel, then towards the wall. The result showed the boundary layer as it moves through the x and y directions. However, I need to know where in y (for a line going through x=1cm) is the concentration=50 as a function of time. I did a line plot at location x=1cm that gives me the values of concentration (from 0 to 100), attached as Line plot, 2D. I also did an extrusion plot that shows the concentration as a function of channel width and time, attached as Line extrusion plot, 3D. Is there a way for me to make a line plot that only plots for a certain range of results? Or is there a way for me to obtain data from the Line extrusion plot at concentration=50 (i.e. make plane on the X-Y axis that cuts through Z=50 and allow me to obtain those numbers )? I also exported the data as ASCII files, imported them into Matlab and plotted them. However, the plots were not nearly the same so they were useless.

You notice that your results are not correct, right? you have negative concentrations and overshoots.

--
Comsol 4.1
Ubuntu 10.04.1
[QUOTE] I am studying the movement of a concentration boundary layer from the middle of a microfluidic channel towards the wall. My channel is a 2D rectangle, height 2mm, width 1cm. Concentration values go from 0 to 100. I did a time step Nav-Stokes simulation. Coupled that with an advection-diff simulation and got the results I needed. I was able to see the concentration move into the channel, then towards the wall. The result showed the boundary layer as it moves through the x and y directions. However, I need to know where in y (for a line going through x=1cm) is the concentration=50 as a function of time. I did a line plot at location x=1cm that gives me the values of concentration (from 0 to 100), attached as Line plot, 2D. I also did an extrusion plot that shows the concentration as a function of channel width and time, attached as Line extrusion plot, 3D. Is there a way for me to make a line plot that only plots for a certain range of results? Or is there a way for me to obtain data from the Line extrusion plot at concentration=50 (i.e. make plane on the X-Y axis that cuts through Z=50 and allow me to obtain those numbers )? I also exported the data as ASCII files, imported them into Matlab and plotted them. However, the plots were not nearly the same so they were useless. [/QUOTE] You notice that your results are not correct, right? you have negative concentrations and overshoots. -- Comsol 4.1 Ubuntu 10.04.1

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/02/02 9:16 GMT-5

You notice that your results are not correct, right? you have negative concentrations and overshoots.

--
Comsol 4.1
Ubuntu 10.04.1

Yes, I do see that, but am not caring about that right now. I'm worrying about learning how to get the data I need from the simulation first. Plus, the data I need is in the middle of the plot so edge effects don't worry me at this point. I will eventually refine the mesh and play with the solver settings to make sure the data makes sense.
[QUOTE] [QUOTE] I am studying the movement of a concentration boundary layer from the middle of a microfluidic channel towards the wall. My channel is a 2D rectangle, height 2mm, width 1cm. Concentration values go from 0 to 100. I did a time step Nav-Stokes simulation. Coupled that with an advection-diff simulation and got the results I needed. I was able to see the concentration move into the channel, then towards the wall. The result showed the boundary layer as it moves through the x and y directions. However, I need to know where in y (for a line going through x=1cm) is the concentration=50 as a function of time. I did a line plot at location x=1cm that gives me the values of concentration (from 0 to 100), attached as Line plot, 2D. I also did an extrusion plot that shows the concentration as a function of channel width and time, attached as Line extrusion plot, 3D. Is there a way for me to make a line plot that only plots for a certain range of results? Or is there a way for me to obtain data from the Line extrusion plot at concentration=50 (i.e. make plane on the X-Y axis that cuts through Z=50 and allow me to obtain those numbers )? I also exported the data as ASCII files, imported them into Matlab and plotted them. However, the plots were not nearly the same so they were useless. [/QUOTE] You notice that your results are not correct, right? you have negative concentrations and overshoots. -- Comsol 4.1 Ubuntu 10.04.1 [/QUOTE] Yes, I do see that, but am not caring about that right now. I'm worrying about learning how to get the data I need from the simulation first. Plus, the data I need is in the middle of the plot so edge effects don't worry me at this point. I will eventually refine the mesh and play with the solver settings to make sure the data makes sense.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.