Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Best strategy to implement an induced stress (thermal/chemical/...)

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Here is a problem I am faced with : I am studying a smart material that, when stimulated by external stimulus, will change shape. So the induced strain is given by an internal stress :
sigma(x) = E*(eps-eps_ind(x))
where E is the Young modulus / eps is the strain coming from a mechanical deformation / eps_ind is the strain induced in the material

The eps_ind(x) could represent different things, depending on the physics studied.

My question is the following : what could be the best strategy to implement it under the Solid Mechanics module under Comsol4.x ?

2 Replies Last Post 2011/03/01 4:43 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/01 4:38 GMT-5
Hi

I'm not sure for how to implement that one, but one thing: be aware that "eps" is an internally defined variable COMSOL name, so you should at least call it something else

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure for how to implement that one, but one thing: be aware that "eps" is an internally defined variable COMSOL name, so you should at least call it something else -- Good luck Ivar

Jean-Christophe Lavocat

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/01 4:43 GMT-5
Yes, sure, it was only for writing here on the forum.
Yes, sure, it was only for writing here on the forum.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.