Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electron energy density equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

In my model EEDF is very far from maxwellian or druyvesteyn form. So, I define the rates of electron impact reactions via rate constant, not via cross section. The rate constants are the functions of electric field: k(E/N), not of the electron energy. Electron energy equation doesn't important for me in this case.
The question is: is there any possibility to turn of this equation (6-15 in "Plasma_UG.pdf") from the project calculations? Or I have to use the PDE interface?

Thank you,
Vladimir

1 Reply Last Post 2011/03/18 10:39 GMT-4
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/18 10:39 GMT-4
Hi Vladimir, it is possible to turn off the equation which solves for the electron energy in version 4.1. When you do this, the electron energy is fixed at its initial value. Note that the electron losses to the wall depend on the electron energy so your model will not be truly self consistent if you chose to fix the mean electron energy.
Hi Vladimir, it is possible to turn off the equation which solves for the electron energy in version 4.1. When you do this, the electron energy is fixed at its initial value. Note that the electron losses to the wall depend on the electron energy so your model will not be truly self consistent if you chose to fix the mean electron energy.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.