Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I want to simulate a duct flow in which an unsteady pressure boundary condition is to be specified at inlet and constant pressure boundary condition at exit of a simple straight cylindrical duct.I tried to handle this problem by first attempting to solve for a constant pressure condition at inlet and exit (two different pressure values) and thought of using that solution as initial condition for my unsteady problem.But when trying to solve the steady problem itself, solution is not converging and the following error message is being displayed.

"Failed to find a solution:
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution has not converged"

I tried to solve the problem by increasing the number of Newtons iteration as well,still I couldn't rectify this error.Also is there anything special to be taken care of while trying to solve a problem having pressure boundary conditions only without a velocity boundary condition?Can someone help me in this regard..
Thanks in advance!

SM Ananth

2 Replies Last Post 2016/11/28 4:18 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/03/24 2:27 GMT-4
Hi

my experience is that one should always give some good initial conditions, define already a flow and a pressure drop in the tube, estimated from "rulr of thumb" values. These are mostly better tan the default "0" for all values ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my experience is that one should always give some good initial conditions, define already a flow and a pressure drop in the tube, estimated from "rulr of thumb" values. These are mostly better tan the default "0" for all values ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 2016/11/28 4:18 GMT-5
Dear Ivar,

how would you implement that? Setting two boundary conditions for inlet with pressure AND velocity? How would you set the pressure drop over the tube - set an initial domain BC?
Looking forward to your answers.
Regards, Kristina
Dear Ivar, how would you implement that? Setting two boundary conditions for inlet with pressure AND velocity? How would you set the pressure drop over the tube - set an initial domain BC? Looking forward to your answers. Regards, Kristina

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.