Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

field of view in COMSOL (radiaiotn)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

another question maybe repeated one but wanted to be sure

as i found recently, field of view is not included in COMSOL so in surface to surface irradiation just hemicube method and direct angle method are applicable. and if you want to say for example a surface has just a 70 degree for its field of view you can not define it in COMSOl right? just to confirm.

the only way is to model other objects in neighborhood to limit the filed of view but in this case you will have radiation from those surfaces even you define them as 0 or 1 for emissivity. right? so overall field of view is NOT applicable in COMSOL, is it true?

so is this what it is or I missed something?

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 2011/05/03 11:30 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/04/29 16:55 GMT-4
Hi

in radiation exchange, of complex geoemetries, it's correct that the detailed derivation of the view factors is primordial, bit also particularly challenging, few programmes do it correctly.

I havent studied enough the radiation exchange part of COMSOL to clearly state what is being done and in which cases. So I can only recomment to test it on simple cases to ensure one understands clearly what is included, such to complement when one have a prolem to solve that needs additional tweaking

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in radiation exchange, of complex geoemetries, it's correct that the detailed derivation of the view factors is primordial, bit also particularly challenging, few programmes do it correctly. I havent studied enough the radiation exchange part of COMSOL to clearly state what is being done and in which cases. So I can only recomment to test it on simple cases to ensure one understands clearly what is included, such to complement when one have a prolem to solve that needs additional tweaking -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/04/29 18:01 GMT-4
thanks Ivar

I could not find any tool or option for field of view. it is different than view factor I think.

view factor means that your face can get whatever radiation comes from the field of view of about 180 degree but when you talk about field of view it means that you suppose your opbjet can just see whatever is in its for example 80 degree of view.

could I say my mean? like human filed of view is 180 degree but a bird can see all around and has a 360 degree filed of view so it does not have any thing to do with the relation of two object and is just for each.

I searched and think comsol does not have it so just wanted to be sure!

Thanks,
Navid
thanks Ivar I could not find any tool or option for field of view. it is different than view factor I think. view factor means that your face can get whatever radiation comes from the field of view of about 180 degree but when you talk about field of view it means that you suppose your opbjet can just see whatever is in its for example 80 degree of view. could I say my mean? like human filed of view is 180 degree but a bird can see all around and has a 360 degree filed of view so it does not have any thing to do with the relation of two object and is just for each. I searched and think comsol does not have it so just wanted to be sure! Thanks, Navid

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/04/30 3:44 GMT-4
Hi,

the main points you have to know are that Comsol assumes gray and diffuse radiation and that the Hemicube method takes care of shadowing. Out of these facts, you can tell how radiation exchange is managed.

Diffuse:
The radiation of a surface has a 'field of view' of 180°. According to Lambert's law, the power of radiation per (fixed) area into a specific direction tends to zero, while the angle of the direction tends to 90° (angle betweeen normal vetor of surface and direction). But the the power of radiation per projected area (from a virtual POV) is constant, because the decrease of the power of radiation per area is exactly compensated by the increase of the projected area.

You have (I guess so) no access to specify this behavior in Comsol.

Gray:
The total power per area (including all wave lengths and directions) is calculated by Stefan-Boltzmann-law (black body) multiplied with the Total Emissivity e (0 <= e <= 1)

You have access by the total emissivity.

Maybe, in a few next releases, Comsol inlcudes more radiation models like Multiband or Multigray/Weighted Sum of Gray Gases or some Monte Carlo stuff. Then it would be much more flexible for radiation exchange.

best regards

Hi, the main points you have to know are that Comsol assumes [i]gray[/i] and [i]diffuse[/i] radiation and that the Hemicube method takes care of shadowing. Out of these facts, you can tell how radiation exchange is managed. Diffuse: The radiation of a surface has a 'field of view' of 180°. According to Lambert's law, the power of radiation per (fixed) area into a specific direction tends to zero, while the angle of the direction tends to 90° (angle betweeen normal vetor of surface and direction). But the the power of radiation per projected area (from a virtual POV) is constant, because the decrease of the power of radiation per area is exactly compensated by the increase of the projected area. You have (I guess so) no access to specify this behavior in Comsol. Gray: The total power per area (including all wave lengths and directions) is calculated by Stefan-Boltzmann-law (black body) multiplied with the Total Emissivity e (0

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/04/30 17:43 GMT-4
Thank you both

Ivar do you know which models should I combine to consider either a two phase fluid flow woth level set method and heat transfer in fluid?

I do the named models but it looks like it does not consider the heat transfer with fluid flow and just considers the heat like diffusing in solid!!

do you know any proper example.
Thank you both Ivar do you know which models should I combine to consider either a two phase fluid flow woth level set method and heat transfer in fluid? I do the named models but it looks like it does not consider the heat transfer with fluid flow and just considers the heat like diffusing in solid!! do you know any proper example.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/05/03 11:30 GMT-4
Hi again Ivar

here is a two phase model, level set method combined with heat transfer in fluid.

first of all as you see the front is not good enough when it goes further and expands and does not show a good front for fluid and it is like a range than a front. I changed gamma and epsilon (coefficients of level set function in COMSOL a lot but when I want to decrease epsilon which is the thickness of front, smaller values than 4e-4 it says failed to find consistent initial values :( ) so the results with this range of expansion for the front are not satisfactory. overall front is not satisfactory.

next, as you see there is another block connected to the fluid flow way I want to couple it to exchange heat with fluid pass way and be in connection with the fluid wall but whatever I do (define heat transfer in solid and boundaries and run) either it does not consider that part in thermal contours or says failed to calculate Jacobian matrix :(. (which parts should be considered as fluid, heat transfer in fluid, heat transfer in solid??what happens in real physics does not answer)

could you please help me!

Thanks,
Hi again Ivar here is a two phase model, level set method combined with heat transfer in fluid. first of all as you see the front is not good enough when it goes further and expands and does not show a good front for fluid and it is like a range than a front. I changed gamma and epsilon (coefficients of level set function in COMSOL a lot but when I want to decrease epsilon which is the thickness of front, smaller values than 4e-4 it says failed to find consistent initial values :( ) so the results with this range of expansion for the front are not satisfactory. overall front is not satisfactory. next, as you see there is another block connected to the fluid flow way I want to couple it to exchange heat with fluid pass way and be in connection with the fluid wall but whatever I do (define heat transfer in solid and boundaries and run) either it does not consider that part in thermal contours or says failed to calculate Jacobian matrix :(. (which parts should be considered as fluid, heat transfer in fluid, heat transfer in solid??what happens in real physics does not answer) could you please help me! Thanks,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.