Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

specifying solver tolerance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am performing time domain analysis on piezoelectric based sensor system. I am exciting the sensor with a 200MHz sinusoidal signal. In time settings, I am specifying time steps as (0, 0.01e-6, 10e-6). After running for a long time, the solver shows "Failed to find time step so that given tolerances are satisfied." error. Please help resolve this problem.
Thanks
John

2 Replies Last Post 2011/05/02 23:49 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/05/02 16:16 GMT-4
Hi

first of all why use time/transient solver for a periodic signal. The harmonic solver is far better and quicker to use (provided you ahve a harmonic excitation for sure ;)

As you are asking for 1000 steps, you might accumulate small errors that sends the solver far off track. I do not really see what else it could be (apart of your mesh is too coarse and that your results are anyhow wrong then you might have round off or overflow numerical issues

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all why use time/transient solver for a periodic signal. The harmonic solver is far better and quicker to use (provided you ahve a harmonic excitation for sure ;) As you are asking for 1000 steps, you might accumulate small errors that sends the solver far off track. I do not really see what else it could be (apart of your mesh is too coarse and that your results are anyhow wrong then you might have round off or overflow numerical issues -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/05/02 23:49 GMT-4
Thank you Ivar
Thank you Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.