Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

EMW Terahertz filter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi to everyone,

I'm an electronic-engineering student at the University of L'Aquila (Italy), and I'm quite new to COMSOL. To get practice with COMSOL I was told to replicate a simulation done with another simulation program. My goal is to simulate a sort of Terahertz filter, made of a thin layer of Aluminium ad a Silicon substrate. I attached the model I'm working with.
After days of trying, I got stuck because I cannot have the same response (in terms of E^2) as the one i get with the other program, with the same geometry, and same materials. I attached this response too.

The professor who created this simple simulation with the other program told me to excite the filter with a plane wave along the x-axis, and to consider the periodic condition 'to both the directions' . I can't understand what he meant with this last imposition, so I ask the same questions to everyone who may know.

I had tried to set Periodic Condition to the 4 long faces of the substrate, but the program text me an error, so I removed that condition, and that's where I'm stuck.

- How Periodic Condition can be applied to my model?
- The different response is due to wrong materials properties?
- Have I made any error in the physics (emw) branch description of the model?
- There is a way to plot the same expression (E^2) to have better comparison?

Maybe these questions are hard to explain and require a long answer, so I would like to sincerely thank everyone who may help, or even only read and expose impressions.

Kind Regards
-- Davide

0 Replies Last Post 2011/05/20 10:29 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Davide Allegra

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.