Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linking transient pulse to heating generated

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

I am trying to model a transient EM pulse (E_max*exp(-t-t0)^2) traveling through a non-dispersive media which generates microwave heating.

I am wondering if someone could recommend the best physics/study type for this model.

Right now I am trying to implement it using Transient Electromagnetic Waves physics, and defining the source under scattering boundary conditions. This generates the required pulse.

Now linking the heat is giving me a problem--should I use microwave heating physics?

Any help or examples are greatly appreciated. (the built in modules are all frequency studies, not time dependent).

-John, LA Tech

2 Replies Last Post 2011/06/13 9:44 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/10 14:33 GMT-4
Here is a copy of the model.

If you turn off under solver settings ->dependent variables->temperature-> solve for this field; the pulse will be computed. But when I try to solve for the T field, it gives me errors. Just looking at the pulse, you can view the Total Power Dissipation Density, which should be the data COMSOL needs to solve for the T field.

I guess I am missing some boundary condition?

Any help is appreciated,

John
Here is a copy of the model. If you turn off under solver settings ->dependent variables->temperature-> solve for this field; the pulse will be computed. But when I try to solve for the T field, it gives me errors. Just looking at the pulse, you can view the Total Power Dissipation Density, which should be the data COMSOL needs to solve for the T field. I guess I am missing some boundary condition? Any help is appreciated, John

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/13 9:44 GMT-4
I have tried a few more things, but with no luck.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated,

John
I have tried a few more things, but with no luck. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, John

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.