Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

automatic 2D plots scaling in COMSOL 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm experiencing some trouble while plotting a 2D graphic with COMSOL 4.2.
I try to simulate the effect of the centrifugal force on a rotor for several rotational speeds using the continuation option of the stationary solver (here 30'000rpm and 40'000rpm). It should actually not be a tricky task at all. However when I want to plot the radial deformation (sqrt(u^2+v^2)) of point (2Dplot>point graph) COMSOL is making a funny plot scaling. Even though I have set the parameter value to 'all', COMSOL is scaling the graphic around the last parameter value, which means I do not even see the point corresponding to the 1st parameter value and the line seems totally horizontally because the y-axis scale is ranging between 1 and -1[m] (and the deformation order of magnitude is 1e-5[m]). It is kind of annyoing since it means I have to first look what is the magnitude of order of the deformation (using the derived value) and then to manually set the axis.
If I am carrying out the simulation for 3 rotational speeds instead of 2, COMSOL scales the graphs properly.
Does anybody know this issue? Am I doing something wrong or is it a known-bug?

Thanks

Vincent

3 Replies Last Post 2011/07/14 6:57 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/23 9:42 GMT-4
Vincent,

I resolved some similar issues (however in 4.1) in 2D plots by switching the 2D rendering from Swing to SWT in Options>Preferences>2D rendering.

I have no idea what the underlying issue is.

Cheers
Edgar
Vincent, I resolved some similar issues (however in 4.1) in 2D plots by switching the 2D rendering from Swing to SWT in Options>Preferences>2D rendering. I have no idea what the underlying issue is. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/06/23 10:12 GMT-4
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for the answer... However this option seems to not exist anymore in 4.2 :-( I played a little bit with the other options contained in option>preferences> graphics but none seems to solve this issue.

Regards
Vincent
Hi Edgar, Thanks for the answer... However this option seems to not exist anymore in 4.2 :-( I played a little bit with the other options contained in option>preferences> graphics but none seems to solve this issue. Regards Vincent

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/07/14 6:57 GMT-4
Have you got anywhere with this? I'm having SWT related problems with 4.2 I'd *love* to resolve this way...
Have you got anywhere with this? I'm having SWT related problems with 4.2 I'd *love* to resolve this way...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.