Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature Below Ambient When Heating Small Plate Interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to model the heating between two milli-scale nylon plates using aluminothermic nanoheaters. The nanoheaters are approximated with a boundary heat source between the two plates, and all other surfaces are insulated. The results show that there is an area in the middle of each plate that reaches temperatures below the initial temperature of the plates. This problem is exaggerated with smaller time scales and with a greater power from the heat source.

The current mesh is on "Finer" and has 8056 elements. Is this simply a meshing problem? If so, Is there a way to fix it and still have COMSOL solve the problem in a reasonable time?

Is there a better way to model this type of setup on small time scales?

Thank you,
-Lloyd

I attached pictures of the mesh, the surface, and the temperature profile. There was a file size error when I tried to upload the actual file.

1 Reply Last Post 2011/07/25 9:37 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/07/25 9:37 GMT-4
I've had similar problems with a heat source, where part of the geometry reaches temperature lower than its initial. I'm not sure why it happens, but you should certainly try to refine the meshing around the area of contact. Go to boundary meshing and specify a max element size by the heat source
I've had similar problems with a heat source, where part of the geometry reaches temperature lower than its initial. I'm not sure why it happens, but you should certainly try to refine the meshing around the area of contact. Go to boundary meshing and specify a max element size by the heat source

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.