Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reg:- SHAPE MEMORY ALLOY Behaviour simulation in Comsol 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear sir ,
I have been trying to simulate shape memory effect using electrical current as input in comsol 4.2. I had a problem in giving material properties like coefficient of thermal expansion , electrical conductivity , relative permittivity .. Since Coefficient of thermal expansion, electrical conductivity have two values at two different states (matensite and austenite) can u suggest me how to proceed further and specify me how to give these values.

regards,
KrishnaChaitanya S

3 Replies Last Post 2016/07/15 1:33 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Krishnachaitanya S

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/11 12:33 GMT-4
It is the same for me. Did you find something?, or do you have a simple model (for exampe, a SMA wire) to share?

It would be very helpful ;-)

Thanks
It is the same for me. Did you find something?, or do you have a simple model (for exampe, a SMA wire) to share? It would be very helpful ;-) Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/09/27 11:44 GMT-4
Hi,

I have not yet simulated the complete behaviour of SMA wire. To my understanding the behaviour is split into three states.

-> Thermal State : Employ Joule heating Physics to obtain a relation between Input current and temperature
-> Phase transformation state : write a differential equation for obtaining temperature Vs phase fraction relation
finally
-> Mechanical state : Write a differential equation to know the strain due to phase transformation.

Krishna Chaitanya S.
Hi, I have not yet simulated the complete behaviour of SMA wire. To my understanding the behaviour is split into three states. -> Thermal State : Employ Joule heating Physics to obtain a relation between Input current and temperature -> Phase transformation state : write a differential equation for obtaining temperature Vs phase fraction relation finally -> Mechanical state : Write a differential equation to know the strain due to phase transformation. Krishna Chaitanya S.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016/07/15 1:33 GMT-4
use Dynalloy INC datasheets available online..
use Dynalloy INC datasheets available online..

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.