Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help needed regarding meshing a 3d model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear members,

I have a 3d model which contains very thin domains (layers). I tried different ways to mesh this geometry, but failed. Can you please guide me any technique by which I may mesh this model.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Qasim

3 Replies Last Post 2011/10/02 9:59 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/09/29 7:29 GMT-4
Hi

are you following the thread

www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/22723/#p60850 ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you following the thread http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/22723/#p60850 ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/09/29 8:37 GMT-4
Dear Ivar,

Thanks for your reply. I have seen the thread but it seems that I need to define the mesh manually in the thin membranes. Actually in my geometry, the flux passes through the membranes and there is jump in the concentration between the membrane and adjacent domain. I tried to mesh the thin layer independently, but it did not generate. In my computer, memory is not an issue. Can you please guide me how can I define the mesh in domain # 8.

Thanks
Dear Ivar, Thanks for your reply. I have seen the thread but it seems that I need to define the mesh manually in the thin membranes. Actually in my geometry, the flux passes through the membranes and there is jump in the concentration between the membrane and adjacent domain. I tried to mesh the thin layer independently, but it did not generate. In my computer, memory is not an issue. Can you please guide me how can I define the mesh in domain # 8. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/10/02 9:59 GMT-4
Hi

meshing is somewhat an art ;) Have you tried to define a "size custom resolve small features 2" for a mesh with your thin layer, then you should at least get 2 elements in the thickness (but you might ran out of ram), normally when one have very large differences in the thickness, one should replace a "thin" layer by a "thin BC" conditions, merging the physics into the "thin boundary". this means that one consider the effect in the thickness to be constant. There is a few examples in the Model Library. If your physics is not already defined a s thin boundary, you need to define it yourself, by setting up the equations (you might need to use assembly mode to get hand on the two boundary interfaces up and down. It takes some time but is very powerful, check your doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi meshing is somewhat an art ;) Have you tried to define a "size custom resolve small features 2" for a mesh with your thin layer, then you should at least get 2 elements in the thickness (but you might ran out of ram), normally when one have very large differences in the thickness, one should replace a "thin" layer by a "thin BC" conditions, merging the physics into the "thin boundary". this means that one consider the effect in the thickness to be constant. There is a few examples in the Model Library. If your physics is not already defined a s thin boundary, you need to define it yourself, by setting up the equations (you might need to use assembly mode to get hand on the two boundary interfaces up and down. It takes some time but is very powerful, check your doc -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.