Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Photonic crystal with air holes in dielectric simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with this? This may be a long shot but I've been stuck trying to simulate this for quite long now. Basically I'm trying to simulate a square lattice of air holes in a silicon slab.

I did some bandgap calculations to find the bandgap of a square lattice of silicon rods in air, made a row of defects and simulated this properly and achieved waveguiding quite easily (Much like the photonic crystal in the RF model library).

Doing the opposite however is a much more complicated issue, mostly because there is a world of difference in the modes that are allowed to propagate for a holes-in-dielectric setup in comparison to a dielectric rods in air setup. No matter what I do in COMSOL, it seems it always tries to simulate the fundamental mode, whereas I want it to simulate higher order modes.

My current approach has been modal analysis followed by a VERY thorough sweep of effective refractive index in the boundary mode analysis to absolutely no avail. Generally, I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done something similar and somehow made it work? It's very frustrating because according to all my theory, I should get some results I'm not getting in COMSOL, which is mostly fueled by my inadequacies with the simulation software.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post 2011/11/08 1:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/11/08 1:51 GMT-5
Hei Jens

And you get these fundamental modes only even if you tell COMSOL to search around a given higher valies in Study Eigenfrequency node "search for eigenfrequencies around" field ?

Unfortunately, I havent been in that domin lately, so I have no good example to look at ;)

--
Lykke til
Ivar
Hei Jens And you get these fundamental modes only even if you tell COMSOL to search around a given higher valies in Study Eigenfrequency node "search for eigenfrequencies around" field ? Unfortunately, I havent been in that domin lately, so I have no good example to look at ;) -- Lykke til Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.