Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How does COMSOL solve the acoustic-structure interaction? Specific details mentioned below.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to understand how COMSOL solves the acoustic-structure interaction. In particular, I implemented the spherical piezoelectric transducer model, provided as an example (PDF attached for your reference). I understand that at the interface, COMSOL implements the pressure continuity and the velocity continuity conditions. But, it is unclear to me about the exact method the software uses to implement the boundary conditions. Does it use the boundary element method (BEM), or a finite element method (FEM), or a hybrid FEM-BEM method? The physics that this module uses are PRESSURE ACOUSTICS, FREQUENCY DOMAIN; SOLID MECHANICS, and ELECTROSTATICS.

Any fruitful discussion or directing to the related discussion will be much appreciated.

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 2019/09/11 8:04 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 2019/09/11 8:04 GMT-4

Hi,

The physics interfaces you are mentioning are all FEM interfaces, so the coupling is a pure pressure and velocity continuity in the FEM sense. These boundary couplings are formulated using the same type of weak formulation as the equations as in the surrounding domains.

If you are interested in the details, switch on Equation View. Then you can examine the actual expressions.

As an alternative, you can use BEM formulations for acoustics and electrostatics. In that case, the couplings would be slightly different, since they would now requires a FEM-BEM coupling.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, The physics interfaces you are mentioning are all FEM interfaces, so the coupling is a pure pressure and velocity continuity in the FEM sense. These boundary couplings are formulated using the same type of weak formulation as the equations as in the surrounding domains. If you are interested in the details, switch on Equation View. Then you can examine the actual expressions. As an alternative, you can use BEM formulations for acoustics and electrostatics. In that case, the couplings would be slightly different, since they would now requires a FEM-BEM coupling. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.