Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of ion transit in oscillating electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've recently spent quite a bit of time using SIMION to model the trajectories of ions as they pass through fine wire meshes, upon which electric potentials are applied (such that a small DC electric field is generated). In addition, I am very interested in plotting the trajectories the ions take when a high frequency oscillating voltage is superimposed on the DC potentials which are applied to the grids.

The SIMION modelling has generated some very interesting results, and I would like to validate them by performing a similar analysis using COMSOL.

I recently attended the Intensive COMSOL course, held at Hatfield University, UK. The course only briefly covered the Particle Tracing option in the Post Processing screen, however from the little amount that we covered I was left with the impression that COMSOL will only plot the trajectory that an ion would take under steady state field conditions (after a solution to the model has been generated), and would not be able to calculate the trajectory of an ion under an oscillating electric field.

I am curious to find out whether my understanding of the particle tracing option is correct, and I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has succesfully used COMSOL to plot ion trajectories in non steady state field conditions.

Regards,

Jon Atkinson

1 Reply Last Post 2012/02/07 12:04 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonathan Atkinson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/07 12:04 GMT-5
Hi,
I also tried a few simulations in COMSOL sometime back. I could see ions drift in Electric field. But when the fields are high amplitudes or frequencies greater than say 10Hz, I did face problems. My geometries were of order of few mm.

One thing I noticed is ions get attracted to electrode plates of opposite polarity (ie +ve ions move to -ve electrodes) but soon forms a charge layer at surface of electrodes. Even though I wanted the charges to get neutralised as they hit the electrodes, I couldnt know how to. Hope someone at COMSOL or user community can help regarding the same.
Any help is most welcome.
Hi, I also tried a few simulations in COMSOL sometime back. I could see ions drift in Electric field. But when the fields are high amplitudes or frequencies greater than say 10Hz, I did face problems. My geometries were of order of few mm. One thing I noticed is ions get attracted to electrode plates of opposite polarity (ie +ve ions move to -ve electrodes) but soon forms a charge layer at surface of electrodes. Even though I wanted the charges to get neutralised as they hit the electrodes, I couldnt know how to. Hope someone at COMSOL or user community can help regarding the same. Any help is most welcome.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.