Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can a time step be a negative value? confused by the model library example "fluid damper"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I happened to see that the time step is a negative value in the "fluid damper" which is a model in the model library.

How can a time step be a negative value? what does it mean?

I searched everywhere but find on such illustrations.

Thanks, guys. :)

have a good day!

2 Replies Last Post 2011/12/15 19:46 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/12/15 9:01 GMT-5
Hi

I'm not sure I understand fully your question, but what I have notices is that when you perform a time solving sequence, and leave the solver free to select stepping, the algorithm might backtrack and perhaps give a negativ step, while trying to find the optimum way to progress ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I understand fully your question, but what I have notices is that when you perform a time solving sequence, and leave the solver free to select stepping, the algorithm might backtrack and perhaps give a negativ step, while trying to find the optimum way to progress ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011/12/15 19:46 GMT-5

Hi

I'm not sure I understand fully your question, but what I have notices is that when you perform a time solving sequence, and leave the solver free to select stepping, the algorithm might backtrack and perhaps give a negativ step, while trying to find the optimum way to progress ...

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thanks, Ivar.

I am wondering how other comsol uers can accept the negative time step.

The attached picture is the solver log of the model "fluid damper".

[QUOTE] Hi I'm not sure I understand fully your question, but what I have notices is that when you perform a time solving sequence, and leave the solver free to select stepping, the algorithm might backtrack and perhaps give a negativ step, while trying to find the optimum way to progress ... -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thanks, Ivar. I am wondering how other comsol uers can accept the negative time step. The attached picture is the solver log of the model "fluid damper".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.