Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Resolution of Comsol Simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am just wondering what is the minimum resolvable changes in result that we can correctly detect in Comsol.
I would like to change some of the conditions, and study their effect on resonance frequency of cantilever. However, I don't know how to validate the results.

At some conditions, I expect very small change (e.g. 0.001% of the eigenfrequency) in some conditions. I am mainly concerned whether this much resolution is achievable or not.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Som

1 Reply Last Post 2012/01/06 6:26 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/01/06 6:26 GMT-5
Hi

you have the numerical resolution of binary number "eps" (try to look at its value in the Parameter section with a

myvar = eps

But that is seldom the limiting one for a full model, mostly it is mesh density related (and shape function value) and then most important: Solver Relative & Absolute Tolerances (both might not apply for all solvers)

My way is to double the mesh and look at the effect, this gives a good first order indication

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the numerical resolution of binary number "eps" (try to look at its value in the Parameter section with a myvar = eps But that is seldom the limiting one for a full model, mostly it is mesh density related (and shape function value) and then most important: Solver Relative & Absolute Tolerances (both might not apply for all solvers) My way is to double the mesh and look at the effect, this gives a good first order indication -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.