Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving for power using surface integral of E^2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
Im trying to calculate the power desipated in the silicon layer. So Im using surface integral in derived values, as power is intergral of E^2.
I changed the expression from 'Electric field norm' i.e emw.normE to emw.normE^2, does this approach give the correct values of power ?
And other case is Ive changed the expression to 'Total power dissipation density' that is the module itself, It has the units 'W/m'.
The latter sounded good for me, But want to check in before hand.
Please clarify me.

1 Reply Last Post 2012/02/06 21:49 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/06 21:49 GMT-5
I'm not sure what dimension problem you are working in. Regardless, power dissipation is not simply E^2. Integrating "Total power dissipation density" over the volume, area, or edge in question (depending on the dimension of your problem) sounds like a better choice to me.
I'm not sure what dimension problem you are working in. Regardless, power dissipation is not simply E^2. Integrating "Total power dissipation density" over the volume, area, or edge in question (depending on the dimension of your problem) sounds like a better choice to me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.