Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Source Location when Coupling Electrostatics with Electrical Circuit

burr235 Electromagnetics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a parallel plate capacitor as a charge sensor in the Electrostatics (ES) interface and the measurement circuitry in the Electrical Circuit (CIR) interface. I've successfully been able to couple the two designs when using a Voltage Source in the CIR interface applied to the top plate of the capacitor in the ES interface using the External I vs. U feature and a second External I vs. U linked to the bottom plate of the capacitor. This worked exactly as expected with the additional circuitry that I attached.

However, now I want to move the source from CIR to ES as an imposed Surface Charge Density on the top plate, and in doing so I only have one External I vs. U attached to the bottom plate. Running the model produces the following error:

• Feature: Time-Dependent Solver 1 (sol1/t1) Repeated error test failures. May have reached a singularity. Time: 0 s. Last time step is not converged.

This leads me to my question: Can we even apply sources in ES and couple to CIR for measurement only? I have only seen Comsol examples where the source is applied in CIR.

1 Reply Last Post 2020/03/28 15:32 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020/03/28 15:32 GMT-4

Dear Friend, You have to use DC source for ES studies. You may both use terminal domain/boundary as a source. If you want to use AC source, you may only use its peak voltage value. Regards, Okan

-------------------
Prof. Dr. Okan Ozgonenel
Samsun - TURKEY
Dear Friend, You have to use DC source for ES studies. You may both use terminal domain/boundary as a source. If you want to use AC source, you may only use its peak voltage value. Regards, Okan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.