Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

inversion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Someone told me that it might be possible to use Comsol to solve geophysical problems using the optimization module.

I have yet to have the optimization module but I downloaded the Livelink for matlab manual and read the section on Using solver Configurations.

My question is, is it possible for Comsol to do a serious inversion calculation, solving the objectif function? I have seeing the "Aquifer Characterization" model but its not what I'm looking for.

For example, if I wish to do a 3D resistivity inversion, can Comsol do both the modeling (yes) and inversion? Or I have to split the modeling with Comsol and inversion with Matlab?

If so how? I would like to know before making any decision on purchasing the modules or not.

Any documentations, examples, comments, etc... are welcome!

Thank you in advance!

1 Reply Last Post 2012/02/08 11:05 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/08 11:05 GMT-5
Hi

the method of resolution in COMSOL corresponds to a least square fitting to unknown data if you set it up for that, check the optimisation chapter, if you have a single variable to resolve you can run it like that, if you have a complex optimisation to set up, the pre-cooked math in the optimisation module is ready made such to simplify your job.
This can be done "all in one, or via 2 coupled solver runs all depends how you set up your model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the method of resolution in COMSOL corresponds to a least square fitting to unknown data if you set it up for that, check the optimisation chapter, if you have a single variable to resolve you can run it like that, if you have a complex optimisation to set up, the pre-cooked math in the optimisation module is ready made such to simplify your job. This can be done "all in one, or via 2 coupled solver runs all depends how you set up your model -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.