Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get the first time derivative of defined variables?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I defined "rho_E" as charge density, its unit is C/m^3. when I coupled the Electric Current, the Current source(A/m^3) Qj was required. I think Qj equals the first time derivative of rho_E, but I don't know how to express it.

2 Replies Last Post 2012/02/07 3:01 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/07 2:53 GMT-5
If you want to create a variable that is the first time derivative you can use the "d"-operator. In your case you can define:
Qj = d(rho_E,t)
This operator is described further under "The differentation operators" in the help documentation.
If you want to create a variable that is the first time derivative you can use the "d"-operator. In your case you can define: Qj = d(rho_E,t) This operator is described further under "The differentation operators" in the help documentation.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/07 3:01 GMT-5

If you want to create a variable that is the first time derivative you can use the "d"-operator. In your case you can define:
Qj = d(rho_E,t)
This operator is described further under "The differentation operators" in the help documentation.

Thanks a lot!
[QUOTE] If you want to create a variable that is the first time derivative you can use the "d"-operator. In your case you can define: Qj = d(rho_E,t) This operator is described further under "The differentation operators" in the help documentation. [/QUOTE] Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.