Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

advantages of comsol??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi to all,

i am research scholar ... now i am doing research in heat transfer area (laser welding) with moving mesh method... previously i started with ANSYS.. but there is no moving mesh method.so now i have choose comsol..it,s very easy to handle compare to ansys...i have decided work with comsol multiphysics.. but i want to know about advantages of comsol (heat transfer module) compare to ansys or abaqus... please any one tell me about benefits of comsol multiphysics

thanking you
Parma

3 Replies Last Post 2012/02/08 13:20 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/08 7:59 GMT-5
For me I value the following advantages: (i) easy, seamless interface between heat transfer and other physics fields, (ii) ability to modify governing equations, and (iii) flexibility in solver selection in the form of direct, iterative, or mixed solvers, and segregated, or fully coupled solutions.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
For me I value the following advantages: (i) easy, seamless interface between heat transfer and other physics fields, (ii) ability to modify governing equations, and (iii) flexibility in solver selection in the form of direct, iterative, or mixed solvers, and segregated, or fully coupled solutions. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/08 9:41 GMT-5
Thank u Nagi Elabbasi.... i have another one doubt about elements... In ansys solid 70, brick element is there.. how can identify the element type in comsol.. can you tell me about element...

once again thanks Elabbasi

With regards
parma
Thank u Nagi Elabbasi.... i have another one doubt about elements... In ansys solid 70, brick element is there.. how can identify the element type in comsol.. can you tell me about element... once again thanks Elabbasi With regards parma

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/02/08 13:20 GMT-5
Ansys Solid70 is a 3D first order heat transfer element. In COMSOL you don’t chose element types that way. You instead select discretization order. The default for heat transfer in solids is second order, which is more accurate. You can change that to Linear in the Discretization section of the “Heat Transfer in Solids” node.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Ansys Solid70 is a 3D first order heat transfer element. In COMSOL you don’t chose element types that way. You instead select discretization order. The default for heat transfer in solids is second order, which is more accurate. You can change that to Linear in the Discretization section of the “Heat Transfer in Solids” node. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.