Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

New to COMSOL Multiphysics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am planning on trying to learn how to use COMSOL Multiphysics for analysing the acoustic properties of a small study booth product I am designing for a University project. I plan on designing a U-shape desk divider “booth” made from acoustic foam, that will shield the user from 3 sides, but will not enclose them – giving an effect similar to studying at a Carrell desk. (See included concept sketch).

I am interested in two things. 1). The amount of shielding from noise from the rest of the room the user will get, and 2). the acoustic properties inside the “booth”, in order to design it so that it improves the audio heard by others when video conferencing. (i.e. decreasing reverberation picked up by the user’s laptop microphone.

Do you think the learning and using the COMSOL acoustic module could help me obtain this information? It seems like an incredible program, but at present I do not have any experience of using it!

All the best,

Tom Walker

1 Reply Last Post 2020/11/21 11:16 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2020/11/21 11:16 GMT-5

I think Comsol Multiphysics could be used for studying this, but bear in mind that it may take you a while to become skilled at using the software. Based on the picture you attached, I suspect you are going to need a larger and less-open structure than that shown, to actually provide a useful amount of acoustic shielding and/or sound absorption. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I think Comsol Multiphysics could be used for studying this, but bear in mind that it may take you a while to become skilled at using the software. Based on the picture you attached, I suspect you are going to need a larger and less-open structure than that shown, to actually provide a useful amount of acoustic shielding and/or sound absorption. Good luck.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.