Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure value on random packing of spheres

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate the flow around a random packing of spheres, like in the attached paper. I am following the instructions given by the paper and I am correctly capable of simulating this laminar flow with a similar geometry and no overlap between the spheres. For comparison, I am also performing the same simulations with Fluent (trying to use a similar mesh). The velocity profiles around the spheres are alike for both COMSOL and Fluent. However, when it comes to pressure, I am getting values a factor of 2 or 3 larger in COMSOL than in Fluent (and the expected correlation values).

I would like to know if someone faced a similar situation or what could be the reason of this big difference between the pressure values. I am using P1+P1 discretization, as I am facing some issues making the P2+P1 discretization converge. Could it be the reason of this difference?

Thank you and best regards, Eduardo

0 Replies Last Post 2021/04/07 10:28 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eduardo Cano

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.