Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cluster job that shows speed-up when using multiple nodes

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I would be highly interested if someone could post an mph model file that they have shown to see speed-up when distributed across multiple nodes. I am having difficulty seeing any speed up for a number of models and understand from previous threads that speed-up is highly model dependent.

If someone could post an mph file that they know to show speed-up it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas

2 Replies Last Post 2013/01/29 16:59 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Josh Thomas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/10/04 13:14 GMT-4
Dear Josh,

unfortunately I have not read your post earlier: hope it's not too late!
The models that you have tested are provided to test proper operations of the cluster, not performance. For performance, you'd better try to reproduce the results of the following paper, based upon models also available in the model library, for the same number of DOFs: www.comsol.fr/papers/10248/

Best regards,
Stephan

--
www.comsol.fr
Dear Josh, unfortunately I have not read your post earlier: hope it's not too late! The models that you have tested are provided to test proper operations of the cluster, not performance. For performance, you'd better try to reproduce the results of the following paper, based upon models also available in the model library, for the same number of DOFs: http://www.comsol.fr/papers/10248/ Best regards, Stephan -- www.comsol.fr

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013/01/29 16:59 GMT-5
Stephan,

Thanks for the reply. I did have a chance to review Freels work and get comparable speed-up results for some of my own large memory models (upwards of 2.5 MDoF). Part of the issue was getting our HPC system interfacing properly with the COMSOL batch commands and PBS scheduler for optimal advantage of the cluster. The other part related to what you brought up about using a good test model. I've seen that until my models go beyond 1 or 2 MDoF that the speedup is minimal across clusters. But, in those cases, my workstation works great for these anyways!

Thanks again for the reply,
Josh
Stephan, Thanks for the reply. I did have a chance to review Freels work and get comparable speed-up results for some of my own large memory models (upwards of 2.5 MDoF). Part of the issue was getting our HPC system interfacing properly with the COMSOL batch commands and PBS scheduler for optimal advantage of the cluster. The other part related to what you brought up about using a good test model. I've seen that until my models go beyond 1 or 2 MDoF that the speedup is minimal across clusters. But, in those cases, my workstation works great for these anyways! Thanks again for the reply, Josh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.