Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric currents versus electro statics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have built the exact same model in both ES and EC. The geometry was imported in so I know it is exactly the same. In the EC package I define a ground plane and an electric potential of 100V. Basically a cathode/anode. In the ES package I do the exact same thing by defining an electric potential of 0V and an electric potential of 100V. However, the values of my electric field in the ES package is drastically different than the value of the electric fields in the EC package. I am not sure why these values are so far off, in the order of 10^6. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 2012/06/01 5:11 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/01 1:28 GMT-4
Hi

that has never happened, so far, to me, so I suspect something is not "exactly the same", but its impossible for us to tell like that.

The main difference is that in ES you have no flow of currents, while i EC the current flows everywhere so a conductor heritates and distributes the moving charges (current). So often setting the BC is quite different in ES and EC

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that has never happened, so far, to me, so I suspect something is not "exactly the same", but its impossible for us to tell like that. The main difference is that in ES you have no flow of currents, while i EC the current flows everywhere so a conductor heritates and distributes the moving charges (current). So often setting the BC is quite different in ES and EC -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/01 3:21 GMT-4
Hi,

Build a very small model where you highlight the issue, then we can probably help you more easily! The devil is in the details. ;)

BR
Magnus
Hi, Build a very small model where you highlight the issue, then we can probably help you more easily! The devil is in the details. ;) BR Magnus

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/01 5:11 GMT-4
Hi

certainly for the Devil and the Details, you do not mind share a simple model so it's easier to understand ?

I did a 1m^2 model yesterday but did not see anything ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi certainly for the Devil and the Details, you do not mind share a simple model so it's easier to understand ? I did a 1m^2 model yesterday but did not see anything ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.