Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A way to model a source of heat which is very short (time)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I need help about a modelling of H2-O2 combustion. I need to model the source of heat which is generate by the candle of ignition. But i don't found a way to do it. Is there any function to do understand to COMSOL that the source of heat last a short time? If anyone have some ideas, i will be very happy to hear him. Sincerely.

1 Reply Last Post 2012/06/14 7:12 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/14 7:12 GMT-4
Hi Julien,

you can multiply the temperature T that you define for your heat source material with a function, e.g.:
temperature of your material = T * some_self_defined_pulse_function

You can define your pulse function (or any combination of several functions) in a way, that its value will be increasing from 0 to 1 in a very short time and afterwards will decrease from 1 to 0 again. In this way, you will have a short "heat pulse" during a time interval that you can define yourself.

Check Comsol's doc for functions (e.g. "Gaussian Pulse", "Ramp", "Step", and so on). Hope this helps!

Good luck,
Juergen
Hi Julien, you can multiply the temperature T that you define for your heat source material with a function, e.g.: temperature of your material = T * some_self_defined_pulse_function You can define your pulse function (or any combination of several functions) in a way, that its value will be increasing from 0 to 1 in a very short time and afterwards will decrease from 1 to 0 again. In this way, you will have a short "heat pulse" during a time interval that you can define yourself. Check Comsol's doc for functions (e.g. "Gaussian Pulse", "Ramp", "Step", and so on). Hope this helps! Good luck, Juergen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.