Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Polar plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to run a COMSOL in order to find the velocity inside a tube. I used 2D axisymmetric and found the velocity in r and z direction. However, I need to find velocity in r and theta direction for the entire range of r and theta. I think I need the polar plot group but I don't know how should I used it. I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Negin

4 Replies Last Post 2012/06/27 16:47 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/26 14:59 GMT-4
Hi

if its the third 2D-axi coordinate its "phi" (and not theta), but a 2D-axi is indepedent of "phi" so normally it's value are all 0. Els I believe you must go in 3D to get all three vector components, the you define either a cylindrical coordinate, or a psherical, or use somethin like an r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) and atan2(v,u) for a phi in the X-Y plane

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if its the third 2D-axi coordinate its "phi" (and not theta), but a 2D-axi is indepedent of "phi" so normally it's value are all 0. Els I believe you must go in 3D to get all three vector components, the you define either a cylindrical coordinate, or a psherical, or use somethin like an r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) and atan2(v,u) for a phi in the X-Y plane -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/27 13:31 GMT-4
Hi,
Thanks for your response. Actually it is a 2D which has only r and theta( no Phi is needed). I want to create my results in a plot which itsaxis are r and theta. So as you said Phi is zero. Just r and theta is needed. I did the exact same thing with MATLAB (r,theta) and plot my velocities in polar coordinates and I want to compare my results with COMSOL, in order to get the exact same results from both of them.
Thanks,
Negin
Hi, Thanks for your response. Actually it is a 2D which has only r and theta( no Phi is needed). I want to create my results in a plot which itsaxis are r and theta. So as you said Phi is zero. Just r and theta is needed. I did the exact same thing with MATLAB (r,theta) and plot my velocities in polar coordinates and I want to compare my results with COMSOL, in order to get the exact same results from both of them. Thanks, Negin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/27 14:11 GMT-4
Hi

OK I didnt cat it then, in 2D COMSOL is by default in the cartesian coordinates (x,y) but you can easily set up a cylindrical coordinate (r, theta) with coresponds to r=sqrt((x-x0)^2+(y-Y0)^2) and theta = atan2(y,x).
Either you define the two variables, or you add a cylidrical coordinate "sys2" and you access sys2.r and sys2.theta (I have a doubt about the second name pls check, I'm not by my WS ;)

Then you can generate your polar plot with r and theta (your vaiables), or the default sys2 references

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi OK I didnt cat it then, in 2D COMSOL is by default in the cartesian coordinates (x,y) but you can easily set up a cylindrical coordinate (r, theta) with coresponds to r=sqrt((x-x0)^2+(y-Y0)^2) and theta = atan2(y,x). Either you define the two variables, or you add a cylidrical coordinate "sys2" and you access sys2.r and sys2.theta (I have a doubt about the second name pls check, I'm not by my WS ;) Then you can generate your polar plot with r and theta (your vaiables), or the default sys2 references -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/06/27 16:47 GMT-4
Thanks for your answer

Negin
Thanks for your answer Negin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.