Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thermal strain issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir,

I've an urgent question about thermal strain simulation. Comsol simulates the thermal strain for two contact plates separately. I was wondering how to make the strain distribution continuous.

Please see the attached file and give me some suggestions. I'd really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Elva

1 Reply Last Post 2012/07/17 2:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/07/17 2:17 GMT-4
Hi

indeed you open an interesting question there ;)

You can also take a look at the Model Library - Structral - Thermal Structure Interactions - Layered Plate

If you add a boundary mesh layer on the internal interfaces you will also get steeper steps of the stress and strain

Question: are the steps in stress and strain physical or not ?
or should the strain be "smooth" across the boundaries ?

My first reaction is COMSOL is correct, but it doesn feel very intuitive and need some more thinking

Perhaps you get more convinced if you run a TS physics study on your model and increase the temperature gradually

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed you open an interesting question there ;) You can also take a look at the Model Library - Structral - Thermal Structure Interactions - Layered Plate If you add a boundary mesh layer on the internal interfaces you will also get steeper steps of the stress and strain Question: are the steps in stress and strain physical or not ? or should the strain be "smooth" across the boundaries ? My first reaction is COMSOL is correct, but it doesn feel very intuitive and need some more thinking Perhaps you get more convinced if you run a TS physics study on your model and increase the temperature gradually -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.