Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating Machinery with Turbulence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I am currently working on modeling a turbulence generator for a wind tunnel. This consists of several flaps that rotate in unison to allow the airflow to pass. Each panel rotates about its center and for now the rate at which they rotate is irrelevant, I just want to get them to rotate together.

The velocity of the air right before the flaps is supposed to be 15 m/s and the size of the windtunnel section is irrelevant right now as well.

I am using the Rotating Machinery, Turbulent Flow physics module right now because of the higher airspeeds. But my studies will not converge.

I am using the step function to smooth out the rotational speed of the flaps as well as the airspeed. I was looking at other COMSOL simulations I found online and they had the boundary layer around their rotating surfaces so I thought I would do the same. If they aren't necessary for the simulation to converge then taking them out is fine.

I'm relatively new to COMSOL and do not understand why this will not converge. If anyone has some ideas I would love the help.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 2012/08/09 16:31 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kiren Caldwell

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.