Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inverse heat conduction problem - determination temperature-dependent thermal conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am interesting to solve an inverse heat conduction problem in order to determine the thermal conductivity using Comsol.

The study area is a block and I have the six boundary values and 50 temperature measurements in the area. I suppose that there is not heat generation and temperature doesn’t change (steady-state).

I would like to ask you if the above problem (the determination of thermal conductivity) can be solved using Comsol.

Where can I find more information that will help me with the above problem?

Thank you in advance,
George

2 Replies Last Post 2012/09/19 9:55 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/09/19 7:38 GMT-4
Hi

ideally you need the optoimisation module, but if you have only one constant variable you can manage without (less precise mostly still often quite OK) You define your measurement values, and your probe ploints and you create a an error variable eoing My_Error_value = sum of (Tmodel-Tmeasured)^2, then you define a global expression My_Material_k such that My_Error value is "0" or minimum

There is some examples for the HT controlled loop that work in a similar way (see model library)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi ideally you need the optoimisation module, but if you have only one constant variable you can manage without (less precise mostly still often quite OK) You define your measurement values, and your probe ploints and you create a an error variable eoing My_Error_value = sum of (Tmodel-Tmeasured)^2, then you define a global expression My_Material_k such that My_Error value is "0" or minimum There is some examples for the HT controlled loop that work in a similar way (see model library) -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/09/19 9:55 GMT-4
Presuming that your conductivity varies spatially, you problem is very similar to this one: www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/4410/ . The Optimization Module is needed to minimize the distance between numerical model and experimental data.
Presuming that your conductivity varies spatially, you problem is very similar to this one: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/4410/ . The Optimization Module is needed to minimize the distance between numerical model and experimental data.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.