Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mass Concservation in Two Phase Pipe Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

I was wondering if there is a way to check if the mass conservation principle is uphold in COMSOL for pipe flow.

I am using glass spheres in water in my simulation and due to some instabilities I have employed some Inconsistent Stabilization, and I am fearful that this might mess with the mass conservation.

Any advice?

Best Regards,

Rui

3 Replies Last Post 2012/12/27 14:29 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/09/28 11:41 GMT-4
Anyone?

Could use some help in this issue.

Anyone? Could use some help in this issue.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/09/28 15:03 GMT-4
Integrate the mass flow rate over the inlet and outlet and check that they are equal. You can do in the Derived Values node under Results.
Integrate the mass flow rate over the inlet and outlet and check that they are equal. You can do in the Derived Values node under Results.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012/12/27 14:29 GMT-5
I did a surface integral across my inlet and outlet. I put fp.rho*v in the integral expression box (where v is the velocity moving perpendicular to the inlet and outlet cross section and fp.rho is the density). The difference between those two results is roughly -0.000802938 kg/s. I then took a volume integral for my air flow domains with fp.rho (density) in the integral expression and got a nearly constant mass of 0.001692 over 600 seconds. Clearly, this is contradictory because the delta in my mass flow rates is large enough to cause a noticeable change in my total mass. Am I using the integration tools wrong here? If not, what could cause this blatant error in COMSOL?
I did a surface integral across my inlet and outlet. I put fp.rho*v in the integral expression box (where v is the velocity moving perpendicular to the inlet and outlet cross section and fp.rho is the density). The difference between those two results is roughly -0.000802938 kg/s. I then took a volume integral for my air flow domains with fp.rho (density) in the integral expression and got a nearly constant mass of 0.001692 over 600 seconds. Clearly, this is contradictory because the delta in my mass flow rates is large enough to cause a noticeable change in my total mass. Am I using the integration tools wrong here? If not, what could cause this blatant error in COMSOL?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.