Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of an expanding computational domain:

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am working on a forward osmosis case study on COMSOL Multiphysics. As shown in the attached figure 1, the feed enters through the feed channel in which water (solvent) pass through the membrane to the Draw chamber while leaving the solute in the feed channel and so concentrating it before coming out. My draw chamber is a tank which is continuously filled with the water (solvent) and so the water level will keep rising with time. When trying to perform a time-dependent study on this system, the rising water level in the draw chamber will lead to expanding my computational domain with time and so more meshing elements should be added to the system. One way to simulate this (which I am currently using now) is adding the physics of (Laminar Two-Phase Flow, Moving Mesh tpfmm) as shown in the attached figure 2. However, this physics is mainly used for two-phase flow to simulate interface moving and this is not my case. Would you please help me to know which is the best way to simulate an expanding domain in COMSOL?

0 Replies Last Post 2023/05/11 4:11 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Omar Elshawarby

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.