Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using solution from one study as IC for another

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have a simple set up where I'm solving a PDE for a variable u(x,t) and an ode for f(t). After a certain time t*, f reaches a maximum value of 1 and I have a change in boundary conditions for my PDE. What I've been trying to do is solve my PDE and ODE together up until this time t*. I have a separate PDE for u2, defined for the system after t* with my changed boundary conditions and where I've substituted in 0 and 1 for f and ft respectively. I want to use my solution for u at t* as my initial condition for u2.

I've tried having one study solving for u and f from t=0:t* and then another for u2 for t>t*. In my initial values in my pde for u2, I write u. Then, in my Study 2 I specify that the values of variables not solved for, i.e u, are taken from my solution from Study 1 at time t*. However, when I run this I see that it is in fact taking a zero solution as my initial condition intead of u(x,t*). I think I'm missing some simple step as it seems like it should be straightforward. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

0 Replies Last Post 2023/08/02 10:43 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sarah

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.