Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tapered Waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Anyone can help me? I am following Tapered Waveguide Tutorial. I want to redraw and resimulate the tapered with different size and design. The new design is combining down tapered in start, straight tapered in the middle and up tapered in the last.

What i should change from the tutorial?

Your recommendation is highly appreciated

4 Replies Last Post 2023/10/07 7:11 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 months ago 2023/10/04 9:15 GMT-4
Updated: 7 months ago 2023/10/04 9:19 GMT-4

If I understand you correctly, you are asking about how to use the 2D and 3D drawing tools. I encourage you to work through some of the tutorials available in the Applications Library. Also, just experiment with the features provided. The Help system is sometimes actually helpful, too. Operations such as extrude, sweep, revolve, and loft are definitely worthy of some study, in addition to the various Boolean operations, and such simple operations as move, rotate, scale, and others. Learn how to use Workplanes. Learn about using bezier curves and parametric curves, surfaces, etc. After enough practice and experience, you will be quite skilled in creating very complex and completely custom geometries. See also https://www.comsol.com/support/learning-center .

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If I understand you correctly, you are asking about how to use the 2D and 3D drawing tools. I encourage you to work through some of the tutorials available in the Applications Library. Also, just experiment with the features provided. The Help system is sometimes actually helpful, too. Operations such as *extrude*, *sweep*, *revolve*, and *loft* are definitely worthy of some study, in addition to the various Boolean operations, and such simple operations as *move*, *rotate*, *scale*, and others. Learn how to use Workplanes. Learn about using bezier curves and parametric curves, surfaces, etc. After enough practice and experience, you will be quite skilled in creating very complex and completely custom geometries. See also https://www.comsol.com/support/learning-center .

Posted: 7 months ago 2023/10/04 23:28 GMT-4

Thank you for your reply. I have no problem to draw. I am referring to the tutorial Tapered Waveguide. The tutorial shows down tapered, but my design structure is combining a down tapared(left), straight waveguide (middle) and upper tapered (right). I am doubt that i can use the same step for DEFINITION and STUDY.

2) I also confuse what is the different with d_taper and n_taper as mentioned in parameter file ?

n_taper 200 "Taper length in vacuum wavelengths" d_taper n_taper*lam0 "Taper length"

3) Why use lam0 as 1.55um wavelength? can use UV wavelength?

Thank you in advanced

Thank you for your reply. I have no problem to draw. I am referring to the tutorial Tapered Waveguide. The tutorial shows down tapered, but my design structure is combining a down tapared(left), straight waveguide (middle) and upper tapered (right). I am doubt that i can use the same step for DEFINITION and STUDY. 2) I also confuse what is the different with d_taper and n_taper as mentioned in parameter file ? n_taper 200 "Taper length in vacuum wavelengths" d_taper n_taper*lam0 "Taper length" 3) Why use lam0 as 1.55um wavelength? can use UV wavelength? Thank you in advanced

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 months ago 2023/10/06 9:21 GMT-4
Updated: 7 months ago 2023/10/06 9:21 GMT-4

Sorry, I thought you were talking about an RF waveguide model. The model to which you refer is optical. But, more importantly, it also involves some rather careful customizations, so I suggest that other readers -- those more familiar than I am with novel optical fiber structure modeling using Comsol Multiphysics -- respond.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Sorry, I thought you were talking about an *RF* waveguide model. The model to which you refer is optical. But, more importantly, it also involves some rather careful customizations, so I suggest that other readers -- those more familiar than I am with novel optical fiber structure modeling using Comsol Multiphysics -- respond.

Posted: 7 months ago 2023/10/07 7:11 GMT-4

Anyway, thank you for your concern. I really apprecieated it. Hope for an optical simulator can help me for some solutions ;-)

Anyway, thank you for your concern. I really apprecieated it. Hope for an optical simulator can help me for some solutions ;-)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.