Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Static Analysis Multibody Dynamics Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

Dear all,

I am trying to do a steady-state analysis of a rigid body geometry with the Multibody Dynamics Module (MDM).

I set up a geometry of rigid bodies, defined all attachments and approriate hinges following the Workflow of the double pendulum tutorial. Now doing the analysis I get, that I have to constrain the bodies/hinges so they wont move (see linked thread).

However, I cannot find the correct way to do that. Constraining just the hinges or just the rigid bodies, I cannot achieve convergence or get after some iteration s a singular matrix error. Constraining both leads to a singular matrix error even before the computation starts.

The dof overview shows for all cases 0 net dofs and the respective number of net constraints is always larger than 0. Also, I find the dof analysis rather confusing. Shouldnt I be able to solve the set of equations, if the net dof is zero and therefore the system is neither under- nor overdetermined?

Any help, insights or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

André.

Ps: I unfortunately cannot share the model file due to security issues since this is for a work related project.

1 Reply Last Post 2023/10/10 4:27 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 months ago 2023/10/10 4:27 GMT-4

Dear all,

I think I just solved the problem myself after reading the manual again. Apparently the dof will never turn negative if the problem is overdetermined. Instead the number of constraints is larger than zero. Since that is the case for my definitions, I apparently had an overdetermined problem, which probably causes the solver to fail.

I now constrain just the hinges and two of the rigid domains resulting in system with zero dof and zero constraints as well. Checking now if that does the trick.

André

Dear all, I think I just solved the problem myself after reading the manual again. Apparently the dof will never turn negative if the problem is overdetermined. Instead the number of constraints is larger than zero. Since that is the case for my definitions, I apparently had an overdetermined problem, which probably causes the solver to fail. I now constrain just the hinges and two of the rigid domains resulting in system with zero dof and zero constraints as well. Checking now if that does the trick. André

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.